Make this dish ahead of time and use my shortcut ingredients. This is a veganized, gluten-free version of one of my husband’s favorite holiday recipes. It was one of a couple his mom gave me when we got married, so I knew it was an important one. Some of the ingredients I removed from the original recipe include breadcrumbs and eggs.
- 1 12 oz container silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic (from a jar is fine)
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Gefen cubes frozen sauteed onion, defrosted (or saute half an onion yourself)
- 1 can creamed corn (For a firmer texture and less sugar, use 1 15 oz can plain corn)
- 20 oz bag frozen chopped broccoli, defrosted (approximately 6.5 cups)
- Heat oven to 375.
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan with coconut, olive or grapeseed oil.
- Add the tofu, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to a bowl.
- Mix with an immersion blender until all ingredients are incorporated well.
- Add the onion and corn and mix well.
- Add broccoli and mix again.
- Pour mixture into your pan.
- Cook at 375 for approximately 40 minutes or until the top is slightly browned. The kugel will still be a bit jiggly at that time.
- Cool completely to allow it to firm up.
- It’s best if you can refrigerate the kugel overnight and then reheat for your meal.
In trying to create a vegan version of my mother-in-law’s Broccoli Corn Kugel, I was inspired by a recipe for Vegan Broccoli Kugel from www.lonestarplate.com.
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: American