This is the first recipe I give people looking to EAT MORE PLANTS. Whether you’re exploring Meatless Mondays, trying to increase your plant-based repertoire, or looking to go full-fledged vegan, this is an easy, delicious and nutritious stand-by.
You can make this quickly on the stove top or, for a deeper flavor, you can use your slow cooker (crockpot) 4-5 hours during the week or overnight on shabbat.
● 1 Tablespoon olive oil
● 1 cup chopped onion
● [I don’t use the above. Instead, I warm up the Dorot brand of frozen sautéed onions. It’s like the garlic cubes, but larger cubes and saves you so much time and effort! I purchase them at Shalom’s. If you use the cubes, skip adding in your own oil].
● 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
● 1 clove garlic, minced
● 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
● 1 15.5 oz can corn
● 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
● 1 15.5 oz can black beans
● Optional: 1 15.5 oz can kidney beans
● 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
● 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
● 1 Tablespoon dried basil
● 1 Tablespoon chili powder
● ¼ teaspoon black pepper
● Salt to taste (taste at the end)
Crockpot for weekday or Shabbat:
Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. [If using the frozen sautéed onion, skip this step and add everything to the slow cooker].
Add the sautéed onion, garlic and bell pepper to your slow cooker. Then add tomatoes, beans, chickpeas, corn, tomato paste, cumin, basil, chili powder and black pepper. Mix well. Cover. Cook on low 4 to 5 hours or leave overnight for Shabbat.
Quick stovetop cooking:
For cooking quickly, heat oil in a soup pot on the stove. Saute the onion, garlic and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until tender.
Add rest of the ingredients and cook until boiling. Simmer 10 minutes.
Turn off and serve.
Make it more fun with a toppings bar: (vegan) sour cream and cheese; tortilla chips; diced avocado
- Category: One pot meal, vegan, vegetarian
- Method: Stovetop or Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American, Tex-Mex, Vegan, Vegetarian
Keywords: vegetarian chili, vegan chili, one pot meal, slow cooker chili, slow cooker/Crockpot for Shabbat