The first week of school delayed this Labor Day post, but this info is timeless!
I have a new healthy hack for the Beyond Meat burgers and I found a new delicious way to use the Beyond Meat Better than Beef Italian meatball recipe (stay tuned for the latter recipe). For my complete review and info about the kosher-certified Beyond Meat products (and my thoughts about fake meat in general), along with fun ways to use Beyond Meat products, go to this post and scroll down to #2.
My own vegan whopper recipe: Quick, Easy, No Empty Carbs
I cook big Portobello mushroom caps (in the microwave!), and use them as my bun! I’m not a big low-carb person because I think we all need carbohydrates to function. We DO NOT need white flour carbs. So when people wrap their real burgers in lettuce, instead of a bun, I’m totally down with that. But when they can’t eat certain fruits and vegetables or legumes because of their carb content, I cannot agree with that. The only carb problem humans have is the empty processed kind…NOT beans and lentils that are high in fiber and protein and provide you with vitamins, minerals and steady blood sugar.
Here is the recipe for your semi-homemade, lower carb, vegan whopper!Print
Semi-homemade Vegan Whopper. No Empty Carbs!
- Total Time: 15 mins
You don’t have to run to a restaurant for this vegan whopper. You also don’t have to eat an empty white flour bun.
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps per person
- 1 Beyond Meat Beyond Burger per person (or another veggie burger, but I can’t promise the same taste results!)
- Sliced vine ripe tomatoes
- Vegan sliced cheese (I like Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda)
- Relish or sliced bread and butter pickles (please no food coloring!)
- Vegan Mayo (I like Just Mayo)
- Yellow Mustard
- Peel the skin off of your mushroom caps and remove the stems; then rinse them. Place mushroom caps in a microwave safe bowl with a small amount of water. Microwave for 2-4 minutes until they are smaller, darker and softer. Remove from microwave. Let cool and drain water.
- Cook Beyond Meat Beyond Burger according to directions. Place on top of one mushroom cap (gills side up) and add toppings: sliced tomatoes, vegan cheese and mayo, relish, mustard, and ketchup. Top with other mushroom cap (gills side in).
- Enjoy the taste of a whopper without the meat or white bread!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Main meal
- Cuisine: American, BBQ, Vegan, Plant-Based, Semi-Homemade
Depending on where you buy it, you may find these products under a little “plant-based” sign… in the meat case! There is a larger audience for those that eat meat but want to eat less, than people already vegan or vegetarian. Writing vegan on the front of a box is usually a turn-off for non-vegans (You know, 99% of the population!), so it is their marketing strategy to appeal to meat lovers looking to their products as healthier replacements for meat.
Happy Labor Day!